Chippa United returned to winning ways after defeating Polokwane City 2-1 in an Absa Premiership clash at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Friday night.

The two teams attacked each other from the first whistle, and despite being one man down, Rise and Shine fought hard but will feel hard done by with the narrow 2-1 defeat.

Just three minutes into the game, Chippa striker Lerato Manzini was set through on goal by Nkosinathi Mthinyane, but the former was stopped by Carlington Nyadombo’s great tackle.

The Citizens then launched a quick counter-attack through Puleng Tlolane, who played a good cross to Baptiste Faye, but striker placed his header over the cross-bar.

Chippa dribbling wizard Mark Mayambela beat his marker on the edge of the box in the 26th minute, but ballooned the ball over Polokwane goalkeeper George Chigova’s goal-posts.

At the other end, Tlolane ran into the Chippa box after a receiving a good pass from Cole Alexander, but the striker struck the ball straight into keeper Daniel Akpeyi’s hands.

New City defender Gert Barends was given a straight red card in the 32nd minute for a dangerous late tackle on Nkosinathi Mthiyane.

Manzini finally opened the scoring right on the stroke of half-time, after Mayambela’s well-taken effort was poorly dealt with by Chigova, with the former on hand to bang home the rebound.

It took only five minutes after the break for the Chilli Boys to double their lead through Burkina Faso international striker Aristide Bance, who finished brilliantly from inside the Polokwane box.

However, the Papic’s side never lost hope as they pushed forward in numbers. In the 61st minute Polokwane captain Jabulani Maluleke’s effort was well saved by Nigerian keeper Akpeyi.

Ten minutes later, Substitute Linda Shiba again forced Akpeyi into a decent save, before the goal-minder pulled off a fantastic stop to thwart Tema from close range.

Mayambela and Bance had good opportunities to seal Chippa’s victory on the night, but they both failed to hit the target with 10 minutes left on the clock.

Eventually Polokwane pulled one back in stoppage time through Punch Masenamela. The goal proved to be a consolation goal, as Chippa held on and recorded a 2-1 victory at home.